Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Back to the future

Resisting all temptation to try and provide literal superlatives for the EoD assignment I shall try and assemble a series of images that exhibit the requirements of the assignment but start to draw together some of my thoughts regarding a narrative. I have been considering how I should contextualise my photography going forward and whilst I have an eye on the later demands of the course I am mindful not to jump too far ahead at this stage. However I want to try and lay some foundations for the work that will come.

My thoughts at this moment are to do with transition, historical and contemporary, and not necessarily in that order. I have had the idea to fix this in the village where I live and have lived for over a quarter of a century, and as things stand it will be where I live when I meet my end (some time away I hope at the moment).
Coming to this village we, as a family, were keen to settle in, we had two very young boys aged three and four and I worked away a lot (abroad). My wife, with the boys, had an access card to the community with playgroup, then pre-school, to meet others and we found there were a few families with a similar background to us who were keen to engage, to find a sense of belonging. These acquaintances soon become friends and then, in the absence of a stronger verb to describe them - very good friends. The transition of a set of people, settling by pure coincidence in a foreign place and making a new life.
There were also the roots of the village, the families who had been here for generations and it took a lot longer for them to accept us - and some have yet still to do so! So another transition is there, a changing population, the previous solidity of a community being invaded - most of the "new people" had moved into a small new estate, whilst the older inhabitants were still in the cottages or the "social housing".
Relatively close by is the airbase at Upper Heyford. This base was a RAF base until the payback to the Americans for their "help" in the second war whereupon they took it over and for a while it was an operational base for F111's - they flew to Libya from there to have a go at Gaddafi. During that time there were a lot of officers in the village - officers were allowed to live off-base and they contributed to our life and village life; they have all now left as the base closed - more transition.
I'm concerned to research the transitionary forces that affected the village in a generation or two before we came here - how the war affected life here, there were soldiers billeted in the village, the economic conditions of the depression, the first world war - maybe even as far back as the acts of (in)exclusion as the shape of the countryside is dominated by estate owners who have farm managers - who are by their nature transitory. I can start with the village's history group.

As for the present I am interested to view the ebb and flow of life on the village today - there is a view that life is speeding up, we need transportation in the village, we need access to technology (our broadband speed is slow by global standards), we need mobile communication - we have three mobile 'phone masts in the village - all in the same farmer's land (well it is the highest elevation in the village). There is a fear that further development will be made inside the and on the periphery of the village - so the fear of transition.

Whilst I'm aware that I may have got an idea, it is still too big and needs to be researched, pared down into bite size chunks and developed for the various assignments I have to do.

Post posting note(s):

Communication - juxtapose the modern and the historic - e.g. mobile telephone masts, roads with inter-village tracks to Duns Tew, Purgatory, Steeple Barton, Kiddington.

Ideas: Barbed wire around the base station - rhythm; barbed wire, diagonal, triangle,,
          Fencing - rhythm, horizontal & verticals, diagonals, triangles,,
          Mast - verticals, triangles,,
          Barn - triangles, diagonals, single points,,
          Track leading away - curves, horizontals

1 comment:

  1. Several Projects here and they all look very interesting. Where to start - here and now, past, future?

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete