Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Shutter Speed and panning

I visited an old corn mill powered by water and for the tourists they run the mill and grind some corn. I was able to set up the tripod and take some images to see the difference shutter speed might have on the image.


f2.8, 1/8 sec


The first three images have an aperture of 2.8 providing quite a narrow depth of field and as the shutter speed increased the grindstone showed more detail. Of these three shots my preference is the centre timing, providing a real indication of speed, but with some definition







f2.8, 1/25 sec














f2.8, 1/60 sec














f10, 2 sec

I also took some comparative shots at f10, which given the light conditions (I didn't change the image speed) meant the shutter speed increased.












f10, 1.3 sec












______________________________________________________________________________

Panning with a slow('ish) shutter speed

 All shots at f40, 1/8 sec

I have had little or no experience in panning and initially found this a bit tricky. I realised that to have some effect the camera needed to have a continuous movement in line with the subject whilst the shutter was pressed. I also knew that the slowish shutter speed would blur the background at the very least.





Altogether I am quite pleased with these results, the impression of speed is very  definite and the blurred background of the sea is blurred in a lateral direction, whereas shots 3 and 5, which show a marked vertical movement must be made by the jet-sky riding the waves as the sea blur is consistent (relatively).






______________________________________________________________________________

Panning

I include this shot as a clear example of my lack of technique in panning. The shot was f11 , 1/1500 sec. and despite the speed of the shutter the gull was almost past me before the shot was taken. Note to author, more practise.






No comments:

Post a Comment